|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cook time||30 minutes|
|Total time||45 minutes|
- 1lb chopped sirloin or extra lean ground beef (or 1 package of veg ground round for veg version)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 salt & pepper to taste
This is a classic 60’s recipe with the spicy ketchup topping and is one that my Mom used to make. Goes great with mashed or boiled potatoes and green beans. Vegetarian version tastes pretty good too!
|Preheat oven to 350 degrees. |
Add ground beef (or veg ground round) into bowl and break up with fork. Add in egg, ketchup, worchestershire, onion, parsley, garlic, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and mix well with fork. Once fairly well blended mix through with hands to ensure it blended thoroughly.
*The remaining ingredients listed are for the TOPPING and will be prepared separately to spread on top of meatloaf.
|Roll the mixture into a glass loaf pan - Level out so it is even in the pan. Score on the top with a fork before putting on topping.|
|For Topping |
Combine 1/4 cup ketchup, worchestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mix well until all ingredients are well blended.
Spread ingredients evenly across the top of the meatloaf.
|Place pan in oven and cook uncovered for approximately 30 to 40 minutes or until no longer pink.* Once cooked you will need to drain off any grease from the pan prior to serving. You can either drain directly from the glass loaf pan or remove the finished meat loaf on a cutting surface and slice in individual servings. |
* The vegetarian version will dry out if overcooked so you only need to be cooked until well heated and may not take the full 40 minutes. If the topping is bubbling that is a good sign.
|Remove from oven and let set for about 5 minutes and then cut into equal portions and serve.|