These are great breakfast muffins that are not overly sweet but full of fresh berries and real lemony goodness. They are topped with a light dusting of brown sugar that gives a slight crunchie sweetness to the muffin top. I estimated the amounts of berries in the ingredients and was fairly generous as I like lots of berries. You can adjust accordingly and both fresh and frozen fruit works fine. I usually make 6 large muffins with this recipe but would estimate it would also make approximately 9 smaller muffins.
Lemon Berry Muffins
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 or 3 tbsp juice from half a lemon
- grated zest from half lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- 2/3 cup Blueberries
- 2/3 cup Raspberries
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a muffin tin with liners or grease with non stick spray if desired.
- Place butter in large bowl and add sugar. Blend well with a fork.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and sour cream. Blend until well mixed.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt directly into the wet mixture. Blend until well mixed. The mixture will be quite thick. I estimated the milk cream addition here but would add it in at this time to soften the mixture.
- Toss in blueberries and raspberries. Just blend in until fairly well mixed being careful not to break up berries too much.
- Lightly sprinkle the brown sugar on top of each muffin and place into oven. Bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.