Celery is one of those vegetables that we add to salads and use for vegie dips, but may not always be your first go-to for soup. It turns out that celery has a lot of valuable health benefits that make it a great choice for an alternative soup choice.
First off, celery is very high in antioxidants – particularly vitamin C – and can help reduce inflammation for those suffering from joint pain or other inflammatory conditions. It’s also very easy to digest and has a very high water content that helps to flush your system of toxins.
This celery soup is a ‘creamed’ version in that it is blended, but contains no cream. You can play around with your added veg and broths, but this version has very simple ingredients that come together quite quickly. This recipe makes about 4 servings and freezes very well for those who like to stock their freezer with easy lunch options to grab and go.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium sized white onion
- 3 chopped green onions or chives
- 1 bunch chopped celery – about 6 cups
- 2 or 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Finely chop the onion, celery and green onions. Set aside about 1 cup of celery and one cup of broth to add to the soup after pureeing.
- Melt butter on medium heat in a large saucepan. Add onions, celery, green onion, bay leaves, and parsley. Mix well and let cook about 5 minutes until evenly softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in broth and garlic and bring to a low boil for about 15 minutes.
- Add the celery and broth you set aside to a small saucepan and let come to a low boil to soften the celery. Add in a little salt to taste to add a bit more flavour to chopped celery. Let it simmer for about 10 mnutes.
- Meanwhile once the main celery soup mixture has now softened set aside to cool slightly before blending. Once cooled down separate into to two batches for blending so the blender it not overly full. Return blended ingredients to the main pot.
- Add in celery and broth mixture into the blend soup and stir evenly with a spoon to mix celery.