We never seem to finish that bunch of bananas we buy weekly and this is a great way to use them up. This is a recipe from my Mom’s old cookbook that I pretty much follow to the letter. Add nuts or chocolate chips if you wish.
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 or 4 very ripe mashed bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt and sift together.
- In a separate, slightly larger bowl cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar to butter until well blended.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl or cup and add to sugar-butter mixture. Mix until well blended.
Mash the ripened bananas and then fold into the egg and sugar mixture and mix with a fork or whisk until well blended. You don't want to over mix this part.
- Fold flour mixture into the banana mixture in four separate portions and mix well after each addition.
- Once blended well you can turn the ingredients into a well-greased loaf pan ( 8" x 4" x 2.5")
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until it is golden brown. You should be able to insert a fork or toothpick and it remains dry. Enjoy!