Broccoli Mushroom Gratin is a great side dish for turkey or ham and a popular side dish for any holiday meal.
The creamy cheese sauce compliments the mushrooms, onions, and broccoli, and the crispy panko parmesan topping finishes this side dish perfectly.
Broccoli Mushroom Gratin
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 small white onion sliced
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms sliced
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp dried or Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper or to taste
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sharp or old cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tbsp Maclaren's sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp panko crumbs
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for about 2 minutes or until tender-crisp. Set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large fry pan on medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and mushrooms and saute until onions are transparent and mushrooms are softened and slightly browning.
- Add dried or Dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper. Stir this into the mixture with a spatula to blend.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mushroom mixture and stir to blend evenly. Let cook for about a minute.
- Once blended, slowly pour in the milk in two additions, blending after each addition until smooth.
- Add in grated cheddar and Maclaren's cheese and stir until melted.
- Prep the casserole dish by melting the remaining butter in the microwave or pre-heated oven. Spread evenly to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the brocolli mushroom mixture into the casserole.
- Combine panko crumbs and parmesan cheese in a small bowl and stir until evenly blended. Sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly. Remove the cover for the last 5 minutes to allow the casserole to crisp up on the edges. Let sit for about 5 minutes and then serve.