This yummy, cheesy, broccoli mushroom puff pastry recipe makes a unique side dish or tasty vegetarian lunch or dinner. This tasty broccoli mushroom dish is inspired by the original ‘Pepperidge Farm Broccoli Cheese Pastries’ that you could find in your freezer section, although my versions maybe a little bigger and have a little bit more variety of vegetables.
I use store-bought puff pastry sheets cut into eight equal squares to make turnovers. You could also prepare these as puff pastry appetizers where you could section the puff sheets into sixteen equal sections to make them more bite-size. As a main dish, I would use individual gratin dishes topped with puff pastry.
This recipe includes chopped broccoli, mushrooms, and onions that are lightly cooked and then rolled into a tasty cheese sauce. I use sharp cheddar and could easily be substituted for your favourite cheese or even whatever you have in your fridge.
The combination of the flaky pastry and the cheesy broccoli mixture is always a special treat for a family meal or company dinner. For another savoury way to use puff pastry why not try Beef Stew Puff Pastries.
Broccoli Mushroom Puff Pastry
- 2 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 tbsp butter - divided
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 2 sheets prepared puff pastry
- 1 egg slightly beaten for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slightly steam the broccoli for about 5 minutes to soften. They should still be a little firm and not overcooked. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a small frypan and melt on medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Add mushrooms to broccoli and gently mix to combine.
- In a separate medium-sized saucepan add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and melt on medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook until slightly transparent.
- Add the flour and dried mustard to the butter onion mixture and whisk in to blend evenly. Whisk in the milk and blend gently to ensure it is smooth. Once blended and it starts to thicken, add in the broth and simmer until it has thickened.
- Fold in the grated cheese and whisk gently until well blended.
- Fold the broccoli and mushrooms into the cheese sauce. Lightly stir to coat with cheese mixture and then remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of two cookie sheets. Cut the puff pastry into eight equal square sections and place 4 per sheet. Adjust if doing smaller sizes for appetizers.
- Brush the edges of each square with egg wash. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the broccoli filling into the center of each sqaure.
- Fold the edges of the square at the centre to make a triangle and crimp around each of the edges to ensure the turnover is sealed. Repeat this process for each turnover.
- Brush each turnover lightly with the remaining egg wash mixture.
- Place in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until pastry is lightly golden brown. Let sit for about 10 minutes and serve.