Well by no means am I an expert on Mexican cuisine, but I have found this Chicken Enchilada recipe an excellent go-to for a nice spicey warm meal when looking for new ways to use chicken. The enchilada sauce is super simple to put together and the nice blend of chicken using cumin, chilli powder, chicken broth, tortillas and cheese make it a wonderful weekday or weekend meal. You can always adjust for hotter tastes with spices if you choose so spices are more of a guideline for those with more modest spice preferences. I have used fresh boneless chicken breasts or leftover chicken for this recipe and both work very well.
I usually serve this with a nice tossed salad and sour cream on the side. The enchilada sauce recipe is pretty generous so if you have leftovers you can always freeze for another round of Chicken Enchiladas! Enjoy!
- 4 cups strained tomatoes
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/12 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 2 boneless chicken breast shredded
- 1 tsp grated parsley
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 6 soft tortillas
- 1 cup grated cheese - cheddar or Texmex blend
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all enchilada ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to medium heat to a low boil. Let simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes and then set aside.
- Add olive oil to the large frypan and set on medium heat. Add onions and garlic and simmer until onions are light and translucent.
- Add cumin, chilli powder, parsley, salt and pepper and stir to blend well. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring up to slow boil on medium heat.
- Add shredded chicken and stir well. Bring to a slow simmer.
- Add in enchilada sauce and mix well. Let simmer for about 5 minutes until some of the liquid reduces. Set aside to cool slightly
- Place tortillas on a flat surface. Spoon equal amounts of chicken mixture into each and then roll. This should fill about 6 tortillas
- Take a lasagna sized serving dish and scoop a few ladles full of enchilada sauce to lightly cover the bottom. Take each chicken filled tortilla with seam side down and place it into a serving dish.
- Once completed scoop a few ladles of enchilada sauce over the tortillas. Finish by covering with grated cheese. Finish by covering lightly with foil and place in oven.
- Bake for about 20 minutes and then remove foil. Continue baking for another 10 minutes or until tortillas are a little crispy.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes and then serve with sour creme and chives on the side.