Chicken Picatta with Mushrooms is one of my favourite meals to serve to guests. This popular dish is a staple in many fine Italian eateries with its light, lemony and caper accents. I usually pair it with roasted mini potatoes and sauteed vegetables, but this dish also goes well with a side of pasta with marinara sauce.
It is made with simple ingredients of boneless chicken breasts that are very lightly dredged in flour and browned, then covered and baked with sauteed mushrooms and simmered in lemon chicken caper broth. Definitely one of my favourite ways to serve chicken.
Chicken Picatta with Mushrooms
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup rice or plain flour for dredging and thickening
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Slice each chicken breast in half and place between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Tenderize each piece evenly until the meat is about a 1/3" t 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper to taste.
- Set up a dredging plate with the flour. Toss each piece until it is evenly covered in flour. Place the chicken on a plate and let set up in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Save two tablespoons of flour from dredging and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a medium-sized nonstick fry pan on medium-high heat on the stovetop. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and let melt.
- Once the butter is slightly bubbling, add the chicken pieces and cook for about 4 minutes a side or until slightly golden brown. Cook in batches to allow each piece to cook evenly. Set aside each piece into a single-layer lasagna or casserole dish.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of butter to the pan and let melt. Add the sliced mushrooms and simmer until they are softened and slightly golden. Add the remaining flour that you side aside and blend evenly into the mushrooms for about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and whisk to ensure the broth and flour mixture are smoothly blended.
- Add lemon juice and capers and stir to blend into the sauce.
- Pour the mushroom broth mixture over the chicken in the casserole pan and transfer to the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes or until bubbling.