Macaroni and cheese has got to be the ultimate in comfort food. This is a 3 cheese version and can be served as a side or as a main. You can mix up the type of cheeses you use but I generally use an old cheddar, parmesan and one other type of cheese. This is the classic recipe, but to add a bit more flavour you can also add diced ham or tomatoes.
Classic Mac & Cheese
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt - or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 2 tbsp soft nippy cheddar like McLerans
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- Put a large pot of water on to boil and cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside back into the large pot. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic. Mix into pasta and set aside.
- In a separate medium-sized saucepan add 3 tablespoons butter and bring to medium heat. Once melted add onions and cook until slightly transparent, Add in dry mustard, salt and pepper. Blend well.
- Add in approximately 3 tablespoons of flour to onion mixture and blend well with whisk.
- Add milk gradually and stir continuously with your whisk to ensure the sauce is smooth. Add in 1 cup grated cheddar, 1 tablespoon parmesan and old nippy cheddar and continue stirring. The sauce should be about the consistency of a cream soup, and if it seems too thick you can always add a little more milk or cream to reach the right consistency.
- Once the sauce is done pour directly into your prepared macaroni and toss until evenly coated.
- Toss together the remaining cup of cheddar and 1 tablespoon (or so) of parmesan. Pour half of the macaroni mixture into a pre-greased casserole dish. Top with about one cup of the grated cheeses. Pour remaining mixture on top of grated cheese.
- For topping melt 1 tablespoon of butter in small dish. Add bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon of parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix together. Sprinkle bread crumb topping evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Cover with foil and cook for about 35 minutes. To crisp up the topping remove the foil and cook for about 5 to 10 more minutes or until bubbling. Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes and then serve.