I like this version of creamy broccoli cheese soup because it has a nice blend of broccoli, carrots, onions, and celery, and is perfect cold-weather comfort food. This soup is thick and hearty and you can blend it until smooth and creamy or as I like to do – partially blend and leave some vegetable chunks for added texture and flavour. This recipe calls for old cheddar cheese and for those who like it a little cheesier – feel free to add grated cheese upon serving.
This flavourful broccoli cheese soup is easy to put together and makes a hearty lunch or dinner. This recipe makes about 4 good size servings and freezes really well.
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 medium-sized white onion
- 1 stalk celery chopped finely
- 1 carrot chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp Dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt - or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pot. Add finely chopped onions, celery, and carrots and mix until evenly coated. Cook until softened - about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the broccoli florets and stems into small pieces and add to pot. Stir well to mix evenly and then add 2 cups of broth. Bring to a soft boil, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In a separate pot add remaining butter and melt on medium heat. Once melted add flour, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk to create a creamy roux.
- Add remaining cup of broth and whisk so well blended and mixture begins to thicken.
- Pour in cream while continuously whisking and blend until smooth.
- Fold in the cheese and stir to blend and melt.
- Pour the cream mixture into the broccoli veg mix and sir to gently mix. Continue simmering for about 15 more minutes. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- Using a hand blender puree the soup directly in the pot and serve immediately.