This creamy soup has a nice blend of broccoli, carrots, onions and celery, and is a perfect cold weather comfort food. This recipe calls for flour but it can also be omitted if watching your carbs. I have made it both ways and once blended they are both very creamy.
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 Large head of broccoli
- 1 Medium sized white onion
- 2 Stalks of celery
- 1 Large Carrot
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt - or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 2 Cups Chicken or Vegetable broth
- 1 Cup Light cream
- 1 or 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp Dry mustard
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese*
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Chop onions, celery and carrots finely and add to melted butter. Let this cook till softened - about 10 minutes.
- While this is cooking you can finely chop the broccoli florets and stems into small pieces and set aside. I don't use the whole stem and cut off the hard shell to just use the more tender part of the stem inside.
- Add flour, salt, pepper and dry mustard to vegetable mix and blend well until well mixed.
- Pour in vegetable broth and mix well to ensure flour mixture doesn't have any lumps. Once blended add in the broccoli florets
- Bring the mixture to a soft boil to allow all the veg to soften up. I usually let this cook for about 15 to 20 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Fold in the cheese and stir to blend and melt.
- Once the cheese has mostly melted you can use a hand blender to puree to your desired consistency. You may want to leave it slightly chunky with some veg not totally blended.