I like this version of creamy broccoli cheese soup because it has a nice blend of broccoli, carrots, onions, potatoes, and celery, and is perfect cold-weather or rainy day comfort food. I like this version with potatoes instead of flour as it makes the soup is thick and hearty. I like to partially blend and leave some vegetable chunks for added texture and flavour. This recipe calls for old cheddar cheese and for those who like it a little cheesier – feel free to add grated cheese upon serving.
This flavourful broccoli cheese soup is easy to put together and makes a hearty lunch or dinner. This recipe makes about 4 good size servings and freezes really well.
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups brocolli cut into small florets
- 1 medium-sized white onion finely diced
- 1 stalk celery finely diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 1 white potato peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 tsp Dry mustard
- 1 dash hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp Salt and pepper or to taste
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onions, celery, carrots and potatoes, and mix until evenly coated. Add in salt, pepper, mustard and pepper flakes. Cook until softened - about 10 minutes.
- Finely chop the broccoli florets and stems into small pieces and add to the pot. Stir well to mix evenly and then add broth. Bring to a soft boil, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the veg is softened.
- Once the vegetables are softened remove the pot from the heat. Now using a hand blender carefully puree the soup directly in the pot until smooth and creamy. You can leave some of the veg chunky or blend completely smooth depending on your preference.
- Fold in the cheese and stir to blend and melt. Spoon into bowls and serve topped with grated cheese if desired.