When making soups – I have to say that celery is usually not one of those vegetables that is my first go-to pick. But I have been experimenting with lots of different soups this year and it turns out that celery has a lot of valuable health benefits that make it a great choice for an alternative soup choice. This Creamy Celery soup recipe is a fresh, low-fat soup, and has no cream so can even be a nice vegan option.
I like that celery is very high in antioxidants – particularly vitamin C. Celery can also help reduce inflammation for those suffering from joint pain or other inflammatory conditions. It’s also very easy to digest and has a very high water content that helps to flush your system of toxins. Something to think about if you are looking for a nice light alternative.
This creamy celery soup comes together very quickly and is great served as a lunch main with a slice of nice crusty bread, or can even be an impressive appetizer for the main meal. Wonderfully refreshing and light ingredients of celery, onions, broth, and simple spices make this a healthy enjoyable meal.
Something else to keep in mind is that this soup can also serve as a base in that you can easily play around with different broths, cream or added veg like carrots or potatoes for extra creaminess. This recipe makes about 4 servings and freezes very well for those who like to stock their freezer with easy lunch options to grab and go.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium-sized white onion
- 3 chopped green onions or chives
- 1 bunch chopped celery - about 6 cups
- 2 or 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Finely chop the onion, celery and green onions. Set aside about 1 cup of celery and one cup of broth to add to the soup after pureeing.
- Melt butter on medium heat in a large saucepan. Add onions, celery, green onion, bay leaves, and parsley. Mix well and let cook about 5 minutes until evenly softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in broth and garlic and bring to a low boil for about 15 minutes.
- Add the celery and broth you set aside to a small saucepan and let come to a low boil to soften the celery. Add in a little salt to taste to add a bit more flavour to chopped celery. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile once the main celery soup mixture has now softened set aside to cool slightly before blending. Once cooled down separate into to two batches for blending so the blender it not overly full. Return blended ingredients to the main pot.
- Add in celery and broth mixture into the blend soup and stir evenly with a spoon to mix celery.