This creamy cucumber salad is a fresh-tasting summery side perfect with salmon or grilled fish, bbq chicken, or pork kebabs.
The tangy dill dressing comes together quickly, making this creamy cucumber salad an easy side dish to put together for a weeknight meal, and it is a popular salad to take to summer potluck gatherings.
When prepping the cucumber, I cut off each of the ends and score them to provide a nice decorative texture. You can score the cucumber by running your fork down the length of the cucumber. The texture also seems to allow the slices to absorb the dressing.
This recipe uses sour cream, but you can easily substitute plain Greek yoghurt. I add a tablespoon of sugar to the dressing – which is optional for those who prefer a more savoury, tangy flavour.
- 2 English cucumbers thinly sliced and scored
- 1/4 purple onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
Creamy Cucumber Dressing
- 3/4 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp white sugar or to taste
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh Dill or 1 tsp dried
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Wash the cucumber and slice into fine, even pieces. Place the sliced cucumber into a colander to allow for moisture to drain off.
- Slice the purple onion into fine strips and spread evenly over the sliced cucumbers. Season with salt and toss to combine. Place the colander in the sink for about a half an hour.
- Prepare the dressing by combining sour cream, vinegar, dill, sugar and ground pepper. Stir evenly.
- Pat dry the cucumber-onion mixture with a paper towel.
- Transfer the cucumber-onion mixture into a bowl and pour dressing over top. Toss to combine evenly. Cover and chill in the fridge for about an hour and then serve.