Who doesn’t love pancakes on a weekend morning? Or any morning for that matter. These Finnish pancakes with warmed berries are crepe-like, almost paper-thin, and light-tasting. This recipe incorporates a very simple warmed berry coulis that adds to the flavour and makes them an extra special treat.
The batter is simple and comes together almost as quickly as a store-bought mix at a fraction of the cost. I like to cook these on a cast iron pan using a very large spatula to turn. The pancakes are very delicate, and the cast iron pan makes them brown quickly. The batter spreads very thin, so depending on the size of your griddle, you will probably get one or two per round. I use an extra large spatula for flipping so I can get under the pancake to flip all in one go. I find having the right tools to work quickly is important for the success of these pancakes. I always prepare a baking pan with parchment paper and transfer the cooked pancakes into a warm oven until they are all ready to serve.
The warmed berries are a wonderful topping and a nice touch to ramp up your pancakes. If you don’t have fresh berries – frozen are also excellent to use. I usually start the warmed berries mixture and let them simmer while I prep the batter and cook the pancakes. Any leftover berry mixture can be refrigerated or frozen.
This recipe for Finnish pancakes makes about eight very thin pancakes, and you can always double the recipe if serving a larger crowd.
Finnish Pancakes with Warmed Berries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar or to taste
- 1 cup warmed milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine slightly warmed milk and melted butter. Whisk to blend.
- Whisk in eggs one at a time until well blended.
- Add in vanilla, baking powder and salt and blend evenly.
- Whisk in flour and blend until smooth. Let sit for a couple of minutes to allow the mixture to set up.
- Prepare a griddle with butter or oil and heat to medium-high heat. Using a soup ladle, pour individual scoops onto the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes per side until golden brown, and flip using a large spatula. Transfer to a warming tray into the oven and repeat with the remaining batter.
Preparing Warmed Berries
- Add 2 cups of fresh or frozen berries to a small saucepan.
- Add water and sugar and bring to medium heat
- Let simmer until slightly thickened
- Transfer to a small pitcher to serve with pancakes. Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen for future use.