Ham and cheese puff pastry squares are an easy puff pastry treat that you can serve as a brunch or pre-dinner appetizer – or can also be paired nicely with a soup for a satisfying lunch. Sure – you can always buy prepared frozen appetizers – but I find it almost as easy to use prepared puff pastry with my own fresh ingredients. Plus they taste better too.
I used chopped ham and cheddar cheese in this recipe, but you could easily add or substitute ingredients depending on your taste. Some ideas may include sauteed mushrooms and Swiss, caramelized onions and cheddar, or sundried tomatoes and feta.
Once the squares are filled and prepped, brush them evenly with an egg wash for a nice crispy baked finish.
This simple, versatile recipe is sure to become an easy appetizer go-to!
Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Squares
- 2 sheets prepared puff pastry
- 1 cup chopped ham pieces
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare a large cookie sheet with a sheet of parchment paper.
- On a prepared flour surface place each sheet of phyllo. Roll out to about 1/4 inch thick and cut into 16 even squares. Place 8 of each square evenly onto cookie sheet allowing about an inch or so of space between each sheet. Use two sheets if they are too crowded on one.
- Brush each square lightly with Dijon mustard, careful to stay about a half inch away from the outer edge of pastry.
- Add grated cheese to each square and top with chunks of ham.
- To close up the square, place the remaining phyllo pieces on top and crimp the edges by scoring with a fork evenly around all edges.
- Brush the entire surface and edges with egg wash and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until evenly browned. Serve immediately!