Lemon Berry Muffins are a great breakfast treat as they are not overly sweet but full of fresh berries and real lemony goodness. These muffins are very moist Topped with a light dusting of brown sugar gives a slight crunchie sweetness to the muffin top.
I estimated the amounts of berries in the ingredients and was fairly generous as I like lots of berries. You can adjust accordingly and both fresh and frozen fruit works fine. I usually make 6 large muffins with this recipe but would estimate it would also make approximately 9 smaller muffins.
Lemon Berry Muffins
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 or 3 tbsp juice from half a lemon
- grated zest from half lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- 2/3 cup Blueberries
- 2/3 cup Raspberries
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a muffin tin with liners or grease with non-stick spray if desired. I personally prefer liners as they are easier to clean up.
- Place butter in a large bowl and add sugar. Blend well with mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and sour cream or yogurt. Blend again until well mixed.
- Fold in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt directly into the wet mixture. Blend until well mixed. The mixture will be quite thick. I estimated the milk cream addition here but would add it in at this time to soften the mixture.
- Carefully fold in the berries with a spatula or spoon as you don't want the berries getting broken up by mixer.
- Spoon in the muffin mixture into the muffin pan to about 2/3 full.
- Lightly sprinkle the brown sugar on top of each muffin and place into oven. Bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.