Pound Cake is a classic old-fashioned cake and lemon pound cake – to me – is the best pound cake of all. This recipe is made with fresh lemon juice and zest, has a tart yet sweet lemon glaze on top, and then finishes with a light lemony icing. This is the cake for lemon lovers!
You can use a loaf pan but could also be prepared using a bundt pan with the same glaze and icing finish. I would say the glaze is kind of what really makes this cake, as I have made this cake several times without the icing and it was fine. But wouldn’t skip the glaze.
If you have left overs or want to make an extra cake, this cake freezes exceptionally well and can be bagged whole or even in slices. It’s great if you want to grab a single slice for a quick breakfast snack as it thaws pretty quickly and will taste just as fresh as when you made it the first time. Just be sure that it is wrapped it really well so it doesn’t get freezer burnt.
TIP: I have read and researched several pound cake recipes both online and in my hard covers, and a common tip in many is to let the butter, eggs and sour cream warm up to room temperature before combining with dry ingrediants. This seems to bring the best results for a perfectly moist tasting lemon cake.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice - about half a lemon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan to prep for the cake batter.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl. Add lemon zest and set aside.
- Using a hand mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until well blended.
- Fold in lemon juice, vanilla, and sour cream and blend until smooth.
- Add in flour mixture in two or three steps and mix until well blended.
- Transfer batter mixture to loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once you have removed the pan from oven, carefully transfer the cake onto cooling rack. While the cake is still warm brush the cake with the lemon glaze mixture until well coated. Let cool.
- Once the cake is about room temperature and still on the cooling rack you can drizzle icing along the top and sides.