Impress your guests with a mixed berry galette at your next summer gathering!
Galettes, galettes, galettes! I have been seeing galette recipes everywhere so decided to give them a try. Turns out it is super easy and is a perfect spring and summertime dessert when berries are plentiful and in season. For this recipe, I had both strawberries and blueberries on hand so I prepared some of each and then some blended to mix it up.
What are Galettes?
Galettes are essentially a rustic French open-face pie and can be sweet or savoury. This dish and recipes like this seem to have become increasingly popular in Canada and the US, probably because of how easy they are to make using fresh local ingredients. The possibilities for galettes are kind of endless and I look forward to trying some savoury versions too.
Putting Galettes Together
I use prepared frozen puff pastry sheets as they are perfect for prep, and pretty much ready to go once thawed. The premade puff pastry I buy has two sheets which will make about eight galettes if you make smaller individual servings. If you only need four servings just use one sheet. You could even make them smaller and make mini-galettes!
Each mixed berry galette gets a heaping scoop of fruit and then the pastry is gently folded in a circular motion, brushed with an egg wash and then popped in the oven and then baked until golden brown. These have pretty simple ingredients and not too much sugar so the sweetness and taste of the berries shine through.
These are perfect to serve warm and right out of the oven so you may try to time putting these in when you start dinner. If not they are just as good done ahead and slightly warmed in the oven before serving.
When the galettes are first taken out of the oven the pastry is lightly brushed with warmed apricot preserve, giving it a very light sweet finish. Top with ice cream, whip cream or serve as is. Enjoy!
Mixed Berry Galettes
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 package puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet with a full sheet of parchment paper.
- Remove tops from strawberries and slice in even sizes and add to a bowl.
- Add blueberries and stir to mix
- Stir in sugar and cornstarch and set aside
- Place the first sheet of puff pastry on cutting board and gently roll it out a bit to extend size slightly so its about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into even squares and place the squares in single layer on top of parchment paper. Repeat with the second sheet on separate cookie sheet.
- Pile equal scoops of berry mixture in the centre of each square. Proceed to fold over sides gradually around in a circle ensuring it is sealed.
- Beat eggs and brush the pastry around each galette until evenly coated.
- Place in preheated oven and cook for about 30 minutes or until evenly browned.
- While baking, place the apricot jam in a saucepan or microwave safe dish and heat through until it softens and is a little thinner for brushing.
- When golden brown remove from oven. Brush the pastry of each galette evenly with the apricot mixture. Serve warm ice cream, whip cream or plain.