- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 tsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup white wine
- fresh ground pepper and sea salt to taste
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 sheet prepared phyllo pastry
- 1 egg beaten for egg wash
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Heat oil on medium heat and add onions. Cook for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic and blend into onion mixture. Let cook until softened.
- Add wine, parsely, thyme, salt and pepper and increase heat slightly to bring to a soft boil to let the wine reduce slightly.
- Reduce heat back to medium and add in mushrooms and butter. Stir to blend into mixture.
- Cook mushrooms until they have softened nicely and not overly browned. Set aside to cool.
- If using prepared phyllo thaw to package instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degress.
- Prepare a large cookie sheet with parchment paper to ready for baking.
- If using two sheets, cut into 4 even squares. On a lightly floured surface roll out each square to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place prepared phyllo pastry on parchment paper on cookie sheet.
- Add grated cheese to the mushroom mix and stir to blend evenly.
- Scoop even amounts of mushroom mixture to each square leaving about 1 1/2 inch from edge.
- Fold and pleat the edges of the dough border over the mushrooms – leaving the center exposed.
- Finish by brushing the egg mixture evenly around the phyllo. Place in oven on centre rack and back for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.