These Oatmeal Caramel Chocolate Chip Bars are a quick dessert that comes together using simple pantry ingredients. This layered bar has a nice blend of oatmeal, chocolate chips and the yummy caramel centre is what really sends it over the edge. The caramel in the recipe makes them a little goey so they are generally best if you let cool and cut into squares.
Oatmeal Caramel Chocolate Chip Bars
Oatmeal Chocolate chip base and topping
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add softened butter, egg and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Add in chocolate chunks or chips and stir to blend.
- Place a piece of parchment paper into an 8" x 8" baking pan. Spoon about half of the oatmeal mixture into the pan and press down evenly for an even base. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Add butter, brown sugar and maple syrup into a saucepan and bring to a medium boil. Stir gently with a whisk and let it simmer gently until it thickens and then set aside. About 5 or 6 minutes.
- Remove pan with base from oven. Pour the caramel mixture over top of the base and ensure that is evenly distributed.
- Crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture evenly over top of the caramel layer with your hands or a spoon. It may not be completely solid but will fill in when baking.
- Pop this back in the oven and let bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until if is nicely golden brown.
- Let cool and then cut into squares and serve.