This is a lovely orange, date, and nut muffin recipe that has a wonderful fresh citrus taste with pops of flavour from the nuts and dates. Great go-to breakfast muffin or afternoon snack for when you need to grab something to go. These muffins freeze wonderfully so you can pull out of the freezer for a quick healthy home-baked treat.
I use the juice and pulp from a large naval orange that is juicy and plump and squeeze the juice using my old fashioned glass juicer. I love how these muffins come together so quickly and use such wholesome ingredients. The wet ingredients include fresh orange pulp and juice, an egg, butter and half of your dates. You literally just pop all the wet ingredients into your blender, blend until smooth, then pour into and mix with dry ingredients, add remaining dates and nuts, and then pop into your oven for about 20 minutes for a golden flavourful breakfast treat.
This recipe makes 6 large-sized muffins, but you could also make a dozen small ones if you have a smaller tin. If you are looking for other wholesome breakfast or snack ideas try Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Muffins or Classic Date Nut Loaf.
Orange Date Nut Muffins
- 1 pulp from large orange
- 1/2 cup Juice from orange
- 1/2 cup chopped dates - divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts - walnuts or pecans
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Take a large orange and cut it in half. Using a manual juicer squeeze both halves of the orange to extract as much juice as possible. Set aside.
- Scoop out the remaining pulp from the orange and put it into a blender. Add the previously squeezed juice and blend for about 30 seconds until blended.
- Add in egg and butter to blender and blend again until relatively smooth.
- Add in 1/4 cup of dates and blend until smooth about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Add in wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until dry mixture is well blended.
- Pour in nuts and remaining dates and stir.
- Pour into muffin cups and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until lightly browned on the top and toothpick comes out dry.