This Orange Marmalade Chicken recipe is one I found back in the 1980s in the Canadian Living special edition cookbooks. It has lightly sweet and tangy flavours of orange juice, cinnamon, ginger, and orange zest and is a nice alternative for boneless chicken. This recipe calls for full boneless breasts but also works well with chicken strips.
The recipe serves 4 and comes together very quickly. It’s a great version of orange chicken that works really well for a weeknight meal or a nice surprise for company!
Orange Marmalade Chicken
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper or to taste
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 tbsp orange marmalade
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground ginger
- Dash cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- If the chicken breasts are fairly thick, slice them in half length-wise and place between two sheets of clear plastic wrap or parchment paper in a single layer. You will want to tenderize them with a meat tenderizer until they are between about 1/2 to 1/4 thick.
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts to your taste.
- Combine flour and paprika and spread out on a plate. Dip each piece of chicken lightly in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess. Repeat until all pieces are completed and then set aside flour for later use in the recipe.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter into a cast iron or metal fry pan and heat to medium-high heat. Watch it does not burn.
- Add each chicken piece and let brown evenly on each side. About 3 to 5 minutes per side. Once browned add into a single layer into a cassarole dish and set aside.
- Once the chicken is completed, add in the third tablespoon of butter and scrape up any brown bits with a whisk. Add in about 2 tablespoons of the remaining flour. Whisk until a smooth paste.
- Pour in the orange juice and whisk until well blended. Add in marmalade, orange zest, ginger, and cinnamon and whisk again until ingredients are evenly distributed and smooth.
- Pour the orange juice mixture over the chicken and transfer pan to the oven. Bake uncovered for about 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbling.