Chicken fingers always feel like a bit of takeout indulgence usually reserved for the kids’ menu. But homemade chicken strips with panko deliver a very different take on chicken strips that is lighter, crispier and tastier than your average chicken finger. Plus, making them fresh has much less sodium and is a great way to use boneless chicken.
This recipe is made with seasoned rice flour, egg and panko bread crumbs, and it is light tasting and crunchy – bringing chicken fingers to a whole new level. The rice flour and panko taste lighter than regular flour and bread crumbs, creating a nice crispy coating.
To bring it up a notch for a nice weeknight or weekend dinner – instead of french fries – I serve these crispy chicken strips with a fresh stir fry veg combo, veggie spring rolls, and basmati rice. Yummy!
Panko Crusted Chicken Strips
- 4 single chicken breast pieces
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt - or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper - or to taste
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for fryer
- Set up a dredging station with rice flour, panko and egg mixture in three separate containers.
- If the chicken is in whole pieces, slice them into evenly sliced vertical pieces.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to rice flour and toss to distribute evenly.
- Toss each chicken strip in rice flour mixture, then dip in egg, and roll in the panko mixture until well coated. Place each piece on a plate or glass serving dish. Repeat this process until all pieces are finished. Place all finished pieces in the fridge for about 15 minutes or until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper and a stainless steel metal rack that will be used to transfer pre-fried chicken strips.
- Add vegetable oil to a deep fry pan and warm to medium-high heat. Add each chicken strip to oil and brown evenly on each side for about 3 minutes. Cook until golden brown on each side and then transfer to metal rack.
- Once you have precooked each strip, transfer it to the oven and let bake for about 8 to 10 minutes. Turn halfway through. Remove from oven and place on paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve immediately with plum or desired dipping sauce.