This classic potato salad has chopped egg and diced dill pickles and is perfect for BBQs and summer pot luck dinners. The diced dill pickles add a nice crunch and burst of taste, and I find this salad even tastes better the next day as the flavours have had a chance to blend.
I like to use small white new potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes as they have almost a waxy consistency and tend to keep their shape without the salad going too mushy. I cook the potatoes whole, let them cool in the fridge, and peel after cooling. I prefer to leave the skin on when boiling as I personally find the texture of the potatoes is smoother for the finished product and tends to be less mushy. I let the potatoes cook so they are just tender when poked with a fork and don’t let them overcook. I then put them in the fridge for at least a couple of hours ahead of prep time so they are easier to peel and cut into nice even cubes.
I suggest you make this potato salad earlier in the day or even the day before for serving so it has time to set up and the flavours get a chance to blend and settle. This recipe makes about 4 cups of salad and leftovers should keep for about 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
Potato Salad with Egg
- 8 small white or Yukon Gold potatoes cubed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 stalk finely chopped green onion
- 1 large dill pickle finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley or to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dill pickle brine
- ground fresh pepper and salt to taste
- Boil potatoes until easily pierced with a fork. Remove from heat, drain and place in the fridge to cool.
- Remove the potatoes from the fridge and carefully remove the skin. Section each potato to cut into evenly sized cubes. Add potatoes to a large bowl.
- Add the chopped celery, onion, parsley, egg and pickles into the bowl with potatoes. Stir gently to mix ingredients evenly. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remix with a spoon.
- In a separate cup or bowl, mix together mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and pickle brine until evenly blended. Pour over potato mixture and stir until evenly blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours or even overnight to let the flavours set.