The Queen Elizabeth cake is a moist date-filled cake that – while not totally confirmed – was apparently was very popular around the time of Queen Elizabeth’s coronation. This cake was also a popular cake for entertaining and sold at bake sales. The cake is made with dates and walnuts making it super flavourful, but the secret is the sweetly toasted coconut topping that really puts it over the top. Always get lots of compliments with this one.
Queen Elizabeth Cake
Queen Elizabeth Cake Base
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add dates, water and baking soda to a small saucepan and bring to boil. Turn down and let simmer on low heat until the dates are broken down and the mixture has slightly thickened. Set aside to add to the cake mixture.
- Add softened butter to a medium-sized bowl and cream with a hand mixer until well blended.
- Add sugar and beat into butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time blending after each addition.
- Fold in the date mixture, walnuts, and vanilla into butter mixture and stir evenly with a large spoon or spatula.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Gradually add in flour mixture to date mixture stirring after each addition. Stir until well blended but do not over mix.
- Pour into a pre-greased 9 x 13 rectangular or round spring-form pan. Bake for about 35 or 40 minutes or until a toothpick is tested dry. Set aside to make the topping.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Add butter to a saucepan and melt on medium heat. Once melted add cream, brown sugar, vanilla, and coconut and stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil. and let simmer for a couple of minutes. Then spoon the warm mixture topping over the top of the cake and spread evenly edge to edge.
- Place cake in the oven on the centre rack under the broiler to achieve a light golden colour. Keep an eye on this toasting process so it doesn't burn!
- Once you have reached a golden tone, remove from oven and let cool before serving.
Leave a Reply