This roasted beet and apple salad is a very bright-tasting salad with sweetness from the beets and tang from the apples. It goes great with a white fish dish or even a creamy side dish like scalloped potatoes. It takes a little time to roast the beets but the result is a salad that is very fresh and light.
Roasted Beet and Apple Salad
- 4 medium-sized beets
- 2 royal gala apples or similar sweet crisp apple
- 2 tbsp finely chopped purple onion
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Start by roasting the beets. Cut off the green leaves attached to the beets and scrub the beets with water to ensure they are clean.
- Next, you need to prep the beets for cooking. I like to wrap them really well in foil to steam them but also to prevent them from staining my cookware.
- Place a full sheet of foil on a cookie sheet. Place another sheet of foil on top that is generous enough to fully wrap all of your beets. Line up the beets in the center of the foil and fold over like an envelope so that the beets are completely wrapped. Place a final piece of foil on top and place into the oven.
- If the beets are a pretty good size they will take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. You will want to check to see that when you insert a fork into them that it goes in very easily. Once they are cooked, remove them from the oven and let them cool down for while as they will be really hot. You can then remove the foil and let them cool further before you peel them.
- Once the beets are cool enough to handle you can easily peel off the rough skin and discard. You may want to wear disposable latex gloves for this part as they may stain your hands. The skin may come off with just your hands but you can also use a small paring knife to get any rough bits. When all the beets are peeled cut them into bite-size pieces and place into a bowl large enough to add in the apples.
- Prepared the dressing by combining vinegar, dijon, garlic, onion, and olive oil into a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper as desired and set aside.
- Remove the peel from apple and slice in half to remove the core. You can then cut the apple pieces into long jullian strips or whatever shape you wish based on how you cut the beets.
- Toss the apples into the oil mixture until well coated. Then pour the apple mixture into the beets, stir and then let sit for about an hour to absorb the oil mixture. You can refrigerate or leave at room temperature before serving.