Savoury Beef with Tomatoes
Sirloin-tip beef is tenderized, seasoned and browned then simmered in a combination of onions, garlic, white wine, canned tomatoes, oregano and salt and pepper. Served on a bed of egg noodles, with mashed potatoes, or on a fresh crusty bun.
- 1 lb thinly sliced sirloin-tip beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 tbsp finely diced garlic - about 3 cloves
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup sliced sweet peppers - red, green or yellow
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 dash hot pepper flakes - optional
- 1 tsp honey - optional
- Place beef in between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper and proceed to tenderize with a tenderizing mallet. Flip to do both sides.
- After tenderizing the meat, sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil to skillet and bring to medium-high heat. Place pieces of meat evenly in the pan and allow to brown for a couple of minutes on each side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic to the pan and cook for a few minutes or until the onions have softened. Pour in the wine and let cook off for about 3 minutes.
- Add in peppers and cook until softened.
- Pour in tomatoes and oregano and blend in the mixture. Let simmer for a couple of minutes. Add honey and pepper flakes.
- Return beef to the pan, cover and let simmer on low for about 30 minutes. Serve over pasta, mashed potatoes or on a nice crusty bun.