- 3 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp allspice
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
Preparing Rhubarb Relish
- Combine all ingredients into a large pot and let simmer on medium heat for about an hour or until the mixture thickens.
- While the mixture is simmering you can prepare canning jars in boiling water.
- Let mixture cool slightly once thickened and ladle into hot sterilized jars and seal with canning lids. Makes about 8 -8 ounce jars. Store unopened jars in a cool dark place.
Canning Rhubarb Relish
- While relish is simmering you will want to prep the canning jars, funnel and tongs. Wash all items in hot soapy water.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees. Once the jars, tongs and funnel are washed and thoroughly rinsed you can place them face up on a foil-covered cookie sheet and pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare a separate pot for the metal lids to be sterilized prior to capping the jars. The lids will need to be brought to a slow boil and then kept warm to put on to the jars.
- Remove the jars from the oven and use a sterilized funnel to pour the mixture into the jars filling them about 1/4 inch below the top. Once filled top each jar with the lid and tighten.
- Add each jar to the water bath pot using a canning rack and make sure it is filled at least 1 inch above each jar. Boil for about 10 minutes and let sit for about 5 minutes before removing with the tongs. Transfer jars back to the foil-lined cookie sheet and let sit for about 24 hours. You should hear a popping sound as the lids seal pull themselves down for a tight seal. You should not be able to press down and move the lids - and if any of the jars are not sealed properly - you should transfer them into the fridge and use within the next few weeks. Store properly sealed jars in a cool dark location.