I love going to the market in the spring and finding fresh local strawberries and just picked rhubarb. This old-fashioned strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe is a great way to use these two ingredients and a wonderful way to top off a meal on a cool (or warm!) spring day. This recipe has a crispy crumble topping that includes nuts and oatmeal.
For this recipe, I used a pint of strawberries and two large stalks of rhubarb. The prep time on this is fairly quick and once baked can be served warm or have at room temperature the next day.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb - about 2 large stalks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup fresh grated orange juice
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Sliced strawberries and put into a large bowl.
- Chop rhubarb into small chunks and add to strawberries. Toss in orange rind.
- Add white sugar into the fruit mixture and toss until evenly covered.
- Combine cornstarch and orange juice and whisk until well blended. Toss juice blend into fruit mixture and stir until well mixed. Pour fruit blend into well greased 8 x 10 baking dish.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, oatmeal, cinnamon and nuts into large bowl and stir until well blended.
- Pour in melted butter and combine until evenly mixed. Pour mixture on top of fruit mixture. Bake uncovered in oven for approximate 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbling. Let cool for about 10 minutes and serve.