Sweet tomato relish is the perfect way to use those extra cherry tomatoes! The relish is easy to put together and includes good-quality cherry tomatoes, onions, garlic, balsamic, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
This is a fresh, ready-to-use relish and can be used in one sitting or stored in a mason jar or container in the fridge for up to a week.
Sweet Tomato Relish
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots or white onion
- 1 clove finely chopped garlic
- 1 Pint good quality cherry tomatoes sliced in half or quarters
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp white sugar or to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- fresh sea salt to taste
- Add olive oil to a medium-sized saucepan and bring to medium heat.
- Add onions and simmer for about 3 minutes or until transparent. Toss in the chopped garlic and combine to warm through.
- Add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Simmer for about 3 minutes to allow tomotoes to begin to soften.
- Add in the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Reduce the pan to medium-low heat and let simmer until it thickens to a jammy consistency.
- Let cool slightly. Taste to adjust any seasons such as sugar or salt and pepper. Transfer to a dish to serve as condiment.