This very simple soup is great on a cold day and can be adapted to be vegan or vegetarian. Just skip the cream to make it vegan and it’s just as nice. It’s hearty and wholesome and comes together quickly with pretty simple ingredients that you may already have in your fridge and pantry. This soup freezes really well and this recipe makes about 4 servings.
Tomato Cream Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium-sized white onion diced
- 1 clove fresh garlic finely chopped
- 1 Carrot diced
- 1 Celery stalked diced
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes OR 2 cups fresh tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup strained tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tso diced chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 to 2 tbsp honey
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan and bring to medium-high temperature. Add in diced onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until transparent.
- Add in garlic, carrots, and celery let cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Season with salt, pepper, basil, bay leaves, and chili flakes and blend into mixture.
- Pour in canned tomatoes including juice, and strained tomatoes, cover and bring to a soft boil for about 30 minutes or so until all veg is nicely softened.
- Remove pot from heat and using a hand blender blend ingredients until it is a smooth consistency. Add in cream and honey and blend some more. Check your seasonings to make sure it's right for you and serve.