This tasty creamy tomato soup recipe has simple ingredients that you may already have in your fridge and pantry. Pair this with a classic grill cheese or toasted tuna sandwich for a very wholesome lunch or dinner.
While it is technical ‘creamy tomato soup’ it has a nice blend of tomatoes, celery, and onions and can easily be adapted to be vegan or vegetarian. Just skip the cream to make it vegan and it’s just as nice. For this recipe, I used low sodium canned tomatoes but have also made it using fresh ripe tomatoes.
This recipe makes about 4 servings and soup freezes really well. I usually put this into separate containers to take for an easy grab and go lunch.
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium-sized white onion diced
- 1 clove fresh garlic finely chopped
- 1 Carrot diced
- 1 Celery stalked diced
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes OR 2 cups fresh tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup strained tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tso diced chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup light cream or milk
- 1 to 2 tbsp honey
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan and bring to medium-high temperature. Add in diced onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until transparent.
- Add in garlic, carrots, and celery let cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Season with salt, pepper, basil, bay leaves, and chili flakes and blend into mixture.
- Pour in canned tomatoes including juice, and strained tomatoes, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes on medium-low until all veg is nicely softened.
- Remove pot from heat and using a hand blender blend ingredients until it is a smooth consistency. Add in cream and honey and blend some more. Check your seasonings to make sure it's right for you and serve.